Momijiya Annex is a magical riverside retreat with private cabins and private outdoor bathtubs. It’s a fantastic choice for a one- or two-day retreat from the world.
About 20 minutes’ drive north of Kyoto in the mountain village of Takao, Momijiya Annex is a riverside ryokan surrounded by beautiful greenery. They have nice rooms in the central building, but you really should go for one of the private cabins – they’re truly special. They are surrounded by woods and have decks with private bathtubs in which you can soak while looking at the beautiful Kiyotaki-gawa River.
The staff of the ryokan can come down to Kyoto and pick you up at a train station in the city, which makes the journey quite painless. Once at the ryokan, you will be within walking distance of some great hiking and two sublime temples: Jingo-ji and Saimyo-ji. See our Takao page for more on the area.
So, if you’re looking for a place for a honeymoon, a proposal or just a few quiet and restorative days, this is a wonderful choice!
Name in English:
Momijiya Annex Kawa-no-iori
Name in Japanese:
Takao, Umegahata, Ukyo-ku
Internet: free wifi access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
8min walk from Yamashiro Takao bus stop, West JR Bus, from Kyoto Station
Official site: (English)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world