Yet another sprawling temple compound in Northwest Kyoto, Ninna-ji Temple is a rarely visited temple that makes for long contemplative strolls.
image © Damien Douxchamps
Except for a few weeks during the spring when the Yae-zakura (eight-petalled cherries) are in bloom, Ninna-ji Temple is largely deserted. This is a shame, since there’s so much to see here, including a variety of lovely halls and a fine pagoda. It’s easily combine with a trip to nearby Ryoan-ji Temple and Myoshin-ji Temple.
33 Omuroouchi, Ukyo-ku
9am-5pm, last entry 4:30pm March-November
9am-4.30pm, last entry 4pm December-February
Admission to grounds: Free
Junior high and elementary school students: \300
High and junior high school students: \300
Elementary school students: Free
Non-smoking area: Yes
In front of Omuro Ninna-ji Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 59 from Sanjo Keihan or 26 from Kyoto Station
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Northwest Kyoto, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)