There are few foods more fun to eat than okonomiyaki (savory Japanese pancakes cooked on a griddle at your table) and Nishiki Warai is a great place to enjoy this treat.
Okonomiyaki is a Japanese dish that every visitor should try at least once (three or four times is more like it). Some places just hand you the ingredients and let you cook them yourself on the griddle, but this place is a bit kinder and gentler: they bring the finished dish to your table, pop it on the griddle and then you garnish it yourself and dig in. It’s great. Good drinking food and you can also get fried noodles (yaki-soba), among other things. It’s just at the west end of the Nishiki Market.
For more Kyoto okonomiyaki choices, see our Best Okonomiyaki in Kyoto page.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
1F M’s Court Building, 597 Nishiuoya-cho, Takakura-nishi-iru, Nishikikoji-dori, Nakagyo-ku
11:30am-12pm (last order 11:15pm)
Non-smoking area: No
2min walk from Karasuma Station Exit 16, Hankyu line or Shijo Station, Karasuma subway line
Official site (Japanese)
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Best Kyoto Restaurant Recommendations
- Best Restaurants In Kyoto
- Best Affordable Sushi in Kyoto
- Best Cafes in Kyoto
- Best Child-Friendly Restaurants in Kyoto
- Best Gyoza in Kyoto
- Best Izakaya in Kyoto
- Best Japanese Tea and Sweet Shops in Kyoto
- Best Kaiseki (Japanese haute cuisine) in Kyoto
- Best Kissaten in Kyoto
- Best Okonomiyaki in Kyoto
- Best Ramen in Kyoto
- Best Resutoran-gai in Kyoto
- Best Shojin Ryori (Japanese Buddhist vegetarian cuisine)
- Best Shokudo (All Round Restaurants) in Kyoto
- Best Soba and Udon in Kyoto
- Best Sukiyaki in Kyoto
- Best Tempura in Kyoto
- Best Tofu Cuisine in Kyoto
- Best Tonkatsu in Kyoto
- Best Unagi in Kyoto
- Best Vegan and Vegetarian in Kyoto
- Best Yakitori in Kyoto
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world