Nison-in Temple is a lovely Tendai sect Buddhist temple that is best known for its lovely maple- and cherry-lined arcade leading to the main halls.
Often overlooked by travellers who descend on Arashiyama’s more famous spots, Nison-in Temple is a scenic temple that offers pleasant strolling, particularly during the cherry blossom and fall foliage seasons. It’s not one of the major sights in Arashiyama, but if you desire to escape the crowds, Nison-in is a good bet.
Smoke © xmatt
English address: 27 Monzenchojin-cho, Saga Nison-in, Ukyo-ku
Japanese address: 右京区嵯峨二尊院門前長神町27
Opening hours: 9:00am-4:30pm
Non-smoking area: Yes
Nearest Transport: 15 min walk from Saga Arashiyama Station, JR Sagano line
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world