Nison-in Temple is a lovely Tendai sect Buddhist temple that is best known for its lovely maple- and cherry-lined arcade leading to the main halls.
Nison in Temple © GanMed64
Often overlooked by travellers who descend on Arashiyama’s more famous spots, Nison-in Temple is a scenic temple that offers pleasant strolling, particularly during the cherry blossom and fall foliage seasons. It’s not one of the major sights in Arashiyama, but if you desire to escape the crowds, Nison-in is a good bet.
Smoke © xmatt
English address: 27 Monzenchojin-cho, Saga Nison-in, Ukyo-ku
Japanese address: 右京区嵯峨二尊院門前長神町27
Opening hours: 9:00am-4:30pm
Non-smoking area: Yes
Nearest Transport: 15 min walk from Saga Arashiyama Station, JR Sagano line
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)