A mid-sized hotel with a great restaurant, on-site bakery and rooftop bar/lounge a stone’s throw from the Southern Higashiyama sightseeing district, the Nohga Hotel Kiyomizu Kyoto is an excellent value and a compelling choice in this category.
Nohga Hotel exterior
Nohga Hotel Kiyomizu Kyoto At A Glance
- Great for: couples, families, small groups, foodies, those who want easy access to Southern Higashiyama
- Strong points: location (very close to sights, but within walking distance of a train station and downtown), great restaurant, rooftop lounge, warm and efficient service
- Sample rates: from US$250 to $450 per night for standard rooms
Rooftop bar and lounge
The Nohga sits near the top of Gojo-dori Street in Kyoto, at the base of the hill leading up to Kiyomizu-dera Temple and the rest of the Southern Higashiyama Sightseeing district. At the bottom of Gojo-dori, about five minutes’ walk away, is Kiyomizu-Gojo Station on the Keihan Line, which offers easy north-south access to other parts of Kyoto and on to Osaka. Downtown and Kyoto Station are both within reasonable walking distance. So, the location here is good, especially for those who want easy access to the sights.
Restaurant and lounge
The hotel’s restaurant is one of its main selling points and I know several area residents who go there on weekends to enjoy the wonderful breakfast. The bread and pastries turned out by the on-site bakery are excellent. The restaurant is not cheap, but if you want the option of “eating at home” during your stay, it’s a real bonus. And up on the roof, there’s an amazing rooftop bar and lounge which offers great views over Kyoto. You have to book in advance because it’s so popular.
Deluxe twin room
The rooms here are immaculate and have everything you need, including rain showers and bathtubs. Beds are very comfortable and there’s also free Netflix in the rooms, which is nice for a rainy night.
This hotel chain prides itself on excellent service and the staff here in Kyoto are first-rate. They can help with all kinds of questions and the level of English spoken is high. The rates here are midrange and the Nohga is an excellent value for what you pay.
Name in English:
Nohga Hotel Kiyomizu Kyoto
Name in Japanese:
4-450-1 Gojobashi-Higashi Higashiyama-ku Kyoto-city, Kyoto 605-0846
Price range: moderate
7-minute walk from Kiyomizu-Gojo Station on the Keihan Line
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world