Amongst a vast array of shops and casual restaurants beneath Kyoto Station, Porta is the place to fill-up on the cheap before a long train journey.
Walk straight out of the Karasuma Gate (main north exit) of Kyoto Station and take the first set of escalators down to the basement floor to reach Porta, an underground hive of shops and restaurants where you can grab a simple meal or do some last-minute shopping before a journey. Most of the restaurants here are cramped, casual and cheap, which makes them good for those in a hurry or on a tight budget.
You’ll find most types of Japanese cuisine represented, as well as several coffee shops, a few fast food outlets, and a Starbucks and Subway. You can also buy good take-away bentos (Japanese lunch boxes) and sushi to eat on the train. Note that that many restaurants here can be packed at lunchtime and all day on holidays. For more salubrious fare, head up to The Cube Food Court or Eat Paradise Food Court.
902 Higashi Shiokoji-cho, Shiokoji sagaru, Karasuma dori, Shimogyo-ku
Cheap~Moderate (depends on the restaurant)
Non-smoking area: Yes
2min walk from Kyoto Station Karasuma central gate
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for the Kyoto Station Area, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads