One of the best and most approachable sushi bars in Kyoto, Den Shichi serves mouth-watering sushi in a classic sushi-bar atmosphere.
Saiin, a rather non-descript neighborhood on the west side of Kyoto, is the last place you’d expect to find a great sushi restaurant. But Den Shichi, located in the heart of Saiin, is one of the best and most accessible sushi restaurants in the city. Sure, there are better sushi bars in Kyoto, but many of these are almost off-limits to foreigners (not because of discrimination – simply because you need an introduction to a regular client to get in).
I love this place because it has all the elements of a classic sushi bar: a long counter, masterful itamae-san (sushi chefs) who bellow “irrashaimasse” (Welcome!) when you enter, and reliably tasty sushi and sashimi, along with a few other dishes to round out the menu. And, best of all, it’s a lot cheaper than comparable places in cities like Tokyo. The only problem is this: The locals are well aware of what a great value Den Shichi is and there’s often a wait to get in. We get around this by going early. Even if you have to wait on line, it’s well worth the wait.
For more Kyoto affordable sushi restaurant choices, see our Best Affordable Sushi in Kyoto page.
4-1 Tatsumi-cho, Saiin, Ukyo-ku
Non-smoking area: No
3min walk from Saiin Station, Hankyu line
Read customer reviews of Den Shichi on TripAdvisor
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world