Climbing the hill to check out Kiyomizu-dera Temple is enough to make anyone hungry. Here are the best restaurants near Kiyomizu-dera Temple.
Kiyomizu-dera Temple: Richie Chan / Shutterstock.com
There are lots of snack stalls and restaurants on the streets leading up to Kiyomizu-dera. Some are good, some are pretty bad. However, the following places are all good and relatively close to the temple:
About 20 minutes walk northwest (downhill) from Kiyomizu, this folksy noodle and rice specialist is famous for its oyako-donburi (rice topped with chicken and egg). It’s the perfect lunch for sightseeing. Try to go off-peak to avoid the line.
If you just need a quick little pick-me-up, this classic traditional sweet shop near the top of Ninen-zaka (about 10 minutes’ walk downhill from the temple) serves lovely Japanese sweets and thick matcha. This will definitely power you through to dinner without weighing you down.
Kiyomizu-dera Temple is located in Kyoto’s Southern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Southern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world