Exploring the Kyoto Gosho is a good way to work up an appetite. Here are some good restaurants near the Kyoto Gosho (Imperial Palace and Imperial Palace Park).
Kyoto Imperial Palace Park: DutchMen / Shutterstock.com
The Gosho is huge and there are restaurants in the surrounding neighborhoods, especially near the northeast and northwest corners. The area around the Karasuma-Imadegawa intersection is particularly crowded with restaurants. Here are two choices slightly further from the Gosho:
- Toraya Karyo Kyoto Ichijo
A few blocks west of the Gosho, this elegant Kyoto tea and sweet specialist is great if you don’t need a meal, just a sweet and a cup of tea. Don’t go in shorts or sandals, though.
- Grand Burger
If you’re in the mood for a burger and fries, this joint will certainly satisfy. It’s a short walk east of the northern end of the Gosho.
Kyoto Gosho is located in Central Kyoto. See our complete list of things to do in Central Kyoto, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world