The Rhiga Royal Hotel Kyoto is a sprawling place about 15 minutes’ walk west of Kyoto Station. It’s popular with groups and has a wide range of on-site facilities.
This venerable pile has been attracting domestic and international groups for as long as I’ve been in the city. The rooms area bit dated and common areas can be crowded and a bit chaotic, but the rooms here are fairly large and priced at business hotel rates. It’s a bit inconveniently located for sightseeing – since you’ll have to trek over to Kyoto Station to start most of your exploring, but if you can get a good rate online, it might be worth a night or two.
Name in English:
Rihga Royal Hotel Kyoto
Name in Japanese:
1 Taimatsu-cho, Shiokoji-sagaru, Higashihorikawa-dori, Shimogyo-ku
Internet: free wifi and LAN cable access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
5min ride the free shuttle bus from Kyoto Station Hachijo gate
Official site (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for the Kyoto Station Area, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
More Kyoto Hotels info:
- Kyoto Hotels Overview
- Check availability and pricing for Kyoto hotels at Agoda.com
- The Best Places To Stay In Kyoto
- Where To Stay In Kyoto
- Best Value Hotels In Kyoto
- Kyoto Vacation Rentals
- Best Luxury Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Boutique Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Mid-Range Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Budget Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Kyoto Hostels and Guesthouses
- Best Kyoto Hotels For Families
- Best Ryokan In Kyoto
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)