If you’re looking for a country ryokan in northern Kyoto Prefecture, perhaps while exploring Miyama or on the way to Tango-hanto Peninsula, you will find Kigusuriya to be a comfortable, warm and friendly spot.
Ryokan Kigusuriya is up in Miyama, which is in the mountains about 90 minutes’ drive north of Kyoto. It’s a lovely area with some great hiking, temples and shrines to explore. This ryokan is a lovely, very traditional spot with a friendly owner. It’s the best place to stay in the area, especially if you’re in search of a traditional spot.
You pretty much need a rental car to explore this area. For more details on Miyama and the surrounding area, see our Kitayama Area: Bujo-ji, Miyama, Kayabuki-no-Sato page. You can also read our full guide to the Tango-hanto Peninsula.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
8-1 Imayasu, Miyamacho-tsurugaoka, Nantan-shi
Internet: free wifi access
Non-smoking rooms: No
10min walk from Tsurugaoka bus stop, Nantan Shiei Bus, from Sonobe Station, JR Sagano line
Official site: (English)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)