If you don’t mind being south of Kyoto Station, the Sakura Terrace is a great choice in the budget to moderate price range. It’s an efficient and welcoming hotel with highly competitive rates.
The Sakura Terrace is located within walking distance of the south (Hachijo-guchi) exit of Kyoto Station. It’s also directly above Kujo Station on the Karasuma subway line, which gives you easy access to the rest of the city. The hotel is a business hotel, with small but well-equipped rooms. The terrace is a nice place to relax on warm evenings. The breakfast buffet is a very good. And, best of all, in addition to en suite bathrooms in every room, there’s a great public bath (gender-segregated, of course). All in all, this hotel is great value for the money!
Minami Ward, Higashikujo Karasumacho, １−１
Price: Budget to Moderate
Internet: wifi and LAN cable access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
8min walk from Kyoto Station Hachijo-guchi (south) Exit
Directly above Kujo Station on the Karasuma subway line
Official Website: Sakura Terrace (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for the Kyoto Station Area, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth itfor you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world