If you’re hungry for a tasty bowl of soba and some excellent side dishes while exploring near Okazaki, try to get a table at Sanmikouan. It’s a tranquil oasis in a busy neighborhood.
Soba with friend oysters – image © Chris Rowthorn
Sanmikouan isn’t formal, but it’s not casual either. It’s very pleasant and simply decorated. The menu is built around soba, but also includes udon and a variety of tasty side dishes like tempura and smoked fish.
Sanmikouan interior – image © Chris Rowthorn
The restaurant is inside a wooden building in a very traditional neighborhood off of Sanjo-dori. It overlooks the lovely Shirakawa Canal and you can see fireflies in the summer. They even put a few seats out there in warmer months.
View from restaurant over the canal – image © Chris Rowthorn
Look for the soba mill in the window and the white noren curtains
Sanmikouan exterior – image © Chris Rowthorn
Name in English:
Sanmikouan Higashiyama Sanjo
Name in Japanese:
393 Sekisen’in-cho, Higashiyama-ku
Closed Monday or the following Tuesday when Monday is a national holiday
Price: cheap to moderate
Non-smoking area: completely non-smoking
1min walk from Higashiyama Station Exit 1, Tozai subway line
Official site (English/Japanese)
Near To Here:
Sanmikouan Higashiyama Sanjo is located in Kyoto’s Northern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Northern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world