If you want to boast that you’ve been to a temple that no other tourist has visited, this is your spot: Sennyu-ji is a lovely temple hidden in the mountains above Kyoto.
All the way up at the top of Sennyu-ji Michi Street (quite a climb on foot or bicycle, especially in the heat), you’ll find Sennyu-Ji Temple, a fine compound of Buddhist halls hidden down a walkway amid the trees. Because it’s so difficult to get here and far from other sights in Kyoto, you’ll rarely if even see another foreign visitor here.
27 Yamanouchi-cho, Sennyu-ji, Higashiyama-ku
Junior high and elementary school students: \300
Non-smoking area: Yes
10min walk from Tofuku-ji Station, JR Nara line or Keihan line
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on CheapOAir.com
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads