Inside the grounds of Tenryu-ji Temple, Shigetsu is a great place to try traditional Japanese Buddhist cuisines, also known as shojin-ryori.
While no one would describe the fare here as “stick to your ribs,” it goes well with an afternoon of temple hopping and it won’t slow you down. Shojin-ryori, which is served here, observes the rules of traditional Buddhist vegetarian cooking, which means that no animal products are used in the preparation. Enjoy great garden views of Tenryu-ji Temple from the dining area.
For more meat-free eating suggestions, read our round-up of Kyoto’s Best Vegetarian Restaurants.
68 Susukinobaba-machi, Saga Tenryu-ji, Ukyo-ku
Non-smoking area:: Yes
5min walk from Arashiyama Station, Keifuku Arashiyama line
Official Website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Shigetsu on TripAdvisor
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads