Shimogamo-jinja Shrine is second only to Fushimi-Inari-Taisha Shrine as Kyoto’s best and most beautiful Shinto Shrine. It’s a brilliant place for a stroll.
Shimogamo shrine: beeboys / Shutterstock.com
They don’t make Shinto Shrines more attractive than Shimogam-jinja Shrine. The main hall of the shrine is approached by a long pedestrian walkway through a forest of broadleaf trees known as Tadasu-no-Mori. Broadleaf trees are something of a rarity in Japan, where so much of the original mixed forest has been cut down and planted with sugi (cedar or cryptomeria) trees, making this forest even more special.
If you’re in town on May 3rd, DO NOT MISS the yabusame (horseback archery) contest held on the pedestrian approach to the shrine. Shimogamo-jinja Shrine is also the final destination of the parade that forms the heart of the famous Aoi Matsuri, held annually on May 15th. Shimogamo-jinja Shrine is a short walk from Demachiyanagi on the Keihan Line.
59 Izumigawa-cho, Shimogamo, Sakyo-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
10min walk from Demachiyanagi Station, Keihan line
Official website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world