Unfortunately, this restaurant is no longer operating as of 2018. You can see other alternative vegetarian restaurants in Kyoto on our Kyoto’s Best Vegetarian Restaurants page.
Shokudo Terasu is a unique ramen restaurant that specializes in healthy food. They serve one of the only vegetarian-friendly bowls of ramen in town. It’s well worth a stop when exploring Gion.
Shokudo Terasu – image © Chris Rowthorn
Shokudo Terasu is a completely new type of restaurant in Kyoto: a ramen restaurant that serves vegetarian (and meat) ramen and all kinds of other interesting and healthy dishes. As soon as you walk in, you realize that this is not your normal ramen joint. It feels more like a creative kappo (counter) restaurant.
You can choose from three types of ramen with meat stock (all of them tasty) or, if you’re a vegetarian, you can sample the excellent tonyu-soup (soy milk) ramen, which contains absolutely no meat. All costs around Y950 with tax. The noodles in the soy milk ramen get their green color from a plant called moroheiya in Japanese (mulukhiyah in English).
Soy Milk Ramen – image © Chris Rowthorn
For an additional Y550 at lunchtime, you can order your ramen as a set and get a nice plate of tasty, mostly vegetarian appetizers. Note that they only make a certain number of these plates a day, so don’t be surprised if they’re sold out.
Set Plate – image © Chris Rowthorn
There’s an English menu and they seem pretty comfortable with foreigners here. That said, the service can seem a little brusque at times, but don’t take it personally – everyone gets the same treatment. And, it’s worth it for the excellent food.
Shokudo Terase Exterior – image © Chris Rowthorn
1F Gionshijo Jissai Bld., 7 Yamato-cho, Yamatooji-dori-Shijo-sagaru, Higashiyama-ku
11am-2:30pm, 5:30pm-10pm, closed Monday
Non-smoking area: Yes
2min walk from Gion-shijo Station, Keihan line
Website: Official website (Japanese)
Near To Here:
Shokudo Terasu is located in Kyoto’s Southern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Southern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world