The Sora Niwa Terrace Kyoto Bettei is a luxurious onsen ryokan-style hotel in the heart of Kyoto. Each room includes a private outdoor bath with commanding views. It’s perfect for those who want the best of a ryokan and a hotel in a convenient downtown location.
Sora Niwa Terrace Kyoto Bettei reception
The Sora Niwa Terrace Kyoto Bettei is the elite wing of the Sora Niwa Terrace Kyoto, which we review here. The two hotels share onsen facilities on their upper floors, as well as the outstanding rooftop terrace, from which the hotel gets its name (“Sora Niwa Terrace” means “Sky Garden Terrace).
Corner guest room on the 8th floor
The rooms in the Bettei are exceptionally large by Japanese standards and all of them boast private outdoor baths on balconies overlooking the city. This is one of the only hotels in the city to offer this feature, and there’s nothing like soaking in a private bath while gazing out over the lights of the city.
Outdoor private bath
For fans of Japanese style and baths, this hotel is an excellent choice. Close your eyes and you might just think you at an onsen ryokan deep in the Japan Alps. Open your eyes and you’ll find all the wonders of Kyoto at your feet.
Name in English:
Sora Niwa Terrace Kyoto Bettei
Name in Japanese:
324 Inari-cho, Kawaramachi-dori Shijo-sagaru 2 chome, Shimogyo-ku
Internet: wifi access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
1-minute walk south of Hankyu Kyoto-Kawaramachi Station
:: Check availability on Booking.com.
Official site: (English)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world