For elegant sushi, sashimi and a variety of accompanying dishes, Sushi-kappo Nakaichi is one of Kyoto’s better choices.
Located in Gion, Sushi-kappo Nakaichi serves excellent sushi in refined surroundings. The word “kappo” refers to elegant one-plate dishes (sort of like elegant Japanese tapas) and this should clue you into the fact that this place serves more than just fish on rice. Still, sushi is the main event here and it’s very good. Kyoto is not a sushi town like Tokyo, but if you crave some of the good stuff and have the budget to support it, Nakaichi is a good choice.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
570-196 Gionmachi-minamigawa, Higashiyama-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
8min walk from Gion Shijo Station Exit 6, Keihan line
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Best Kyoto Restaurant Recommendations
- Best Restaurants In Kyoto
- Best Affordable Sushi in Kyoto
- Best Cafes in Kyoto
- Best Child-Friendly Restaurants in Kyoto
- Best Gyoza in Kyoto
- Best Izakaya in Kyoto
- Best Japanese Tea and Sweet Shops in Kyoto
- Best Kaiseki (Japanese haute cuisine) in Kyoto
- Best Kissaten in Kyoto
- Best Okonomiyaki in Kyoto
- Best Ramen in Kyoto
- Best Resutoran-gai in Kyoto
- Best Shojin Ryori (Japanese Buddhist vegetarian cuisine)
- Best Shokudo (All Round Restaurants) in Kyoto
- Best Soba and Udon in Kyoto
- Best Sukiyaki in Kyoto
- Best Tempura in Kyoto
- Best Tofu Cuisine in Kyoto
- Best Tonkatsu in Kyoto
- Best Unagi in Kyoto
- Best Vegan and Vegetarian in Kyoto
- Best Yakitori in Kyoto
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world