October 2022: Please note Tempura Oe has now permanently closed. Please see our Southeast Kyoto page for other places to eat in the district.
If you’re looking for a lunch place near Fushimi-Inari-Taisha Shrine, consider this tempura and soba place on the busy street heading from the Keihan station to the shrine.
Tempura Oe exterior – image © Chris Rowthorn
The classic Japanese lunch while sightseeing is a bowl of soba noodles served with just-fried tempura. This restaurant does all the usual variations on this classic combo for reasonable prices (between Y1,000 and 2,000). Best of all, it’s very close to the shrine.
Tempura Oe menu – image © Chris Rowthorn
To get there from Fushimi-Inari, just walk down the hill from the shrine in the direction of Keihan Fushimi-Inari Station. It’s on your right, just west (downhill from) the canal. Look for the pictures of the tempura on the sign outside.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
12-2 Fukakusa-ichinotsubo-cho, Fushimi-ku
Price: cheap to moderate
Non-smoking area: completely non-smoking
1min walk from Fushimi Inari Station, Keihan line
3min walk from Inari Station, JR Nara line
Official site (Japanese)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world