Close to the downtown core, the General Kyoto is a very reasonably priced and stylish hotel with features like laundry facilities, spacious rooms, and some accessible rooms.
Deluxe twin room
The General Kyoto Shijo Shinmachi At A Glance
- Great for: couples, solo travelers, people with mobility concerns
- Strong points: convenient downtown location, reasonable rates, large-ish rooms, laundry facilities, accessible rooms
- Sample rates: from US$200 to $400 per night
The General Kyoto Shijo Shinmachi entrance
A very short walk from downtown and Karasuma subway station, the General is a solid choice with prices at the low end of the midrange.
Rooms are relatively large, which is quite rare in this budget range. There aren’t too many bells and whistles, but you’ll certainly appreciate the laundry facilities if you’re on a long trip. And those with mobility concerns will appreciate the accessible rooms.
If you’re just looking for a good place to lay your head and you want to be very close to downtown, take a good look at The General Kyoto Shijo Shinmachi.
Name in English:
The General Kyoto Shijo Shinmachi
Name in Japanese:
THE GENERAL KYOTO 四条新町
392 Mukadeya-cho, Shinmachi-dori-Nishikikoji-agaru, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan 604-0805
Price range: moderate
5 minutes’ walk from Karasuma Station (exit 22) of Hankyu Kyoto Line or Shijo Station of Subway Karasuma Line
:: Check availability and pricing for The General Kyoto Shijo Shinmachi on Booking.com.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world