On the southern edge of downtown, the Machiya Ebisuya is a Japanese-style boutique hotel with stylish rooms, a helpful staff and reasonable rates.
Deluxe quad room
The Machiya Ebisuya At A Glance
- Great for: families, couples, solo travelers
- Strong points: downtown location, boutique Japanese style
- Sample rates: from US$250 to $600 per night
If you’re looking for midrange rates, a convenient location and a boutique experience, consider The Machiya Ebisuya. It’s located a short walk south of Shijo, which is the main shopping street in town.
Machiya Ebisuya exterior
Some of the rooms have semi-separate bedrooms, which is a nice feature for families with kids.
Deluxe Queen Room
All in all, The Machiya Ebisuya is a solid offering in this price bracket.
Name in English:
The Machiya Ebisuya
Name in Japanese:
192-1 Ebisuya-cho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan 600-8062
Price range: moderate
9 minutes’ walk from Shijo Station (exit 5) of Subway Karasuma Line or Karasuma Station of Hankyu Kyoto Line
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world