This rarely visited temple in Northwest Kyoto is a hidden gem. The garden is superb, the halls are elegant and the teahouse is sublime.
Toji-in Temple – Northwest Kyoto – image © Damien Douxchamps
Most visitors to Kyoto come to Northwest Kyoto to see the golden pavilion at Kinkaku-ji Temple and the mysterious Zen garden at Ryoan-ji. Without question, both of these temples are magnificent and well worth a visit. But, they are always crowded.
Few visitors realize that a short distance for these temples is the largely unknown Toji-in Temple, which is rarely crowded, even in springtime. If you love gardens, it’s well worth cycling, walking or taking a taxi from Kinkaku-ji or Ryoan-ji to this fine “secret” temple.
Toji-in is a Zen temple that dates back to 1341. It was established by Shogun Ashikaga Takauji.
The Hojo (main hall) and adjoining Reikoden (Hall of Sacred Light) are wonderful and worth exploring for the treasures they contain, the real attraction at this temple is the garden. The first one you will see is centered on Shinji-ike Pond, which is shaped like the kanji (Chinese character) for heart or mind. The western section of the garden is built around a pond shaped like a lotus flower.
Overlooking the Shinji-ike is the Seirentei teahouse, which dates back to 1457. The teahouse is a classic example of the wabi-sabi ideal of rustic simplicity that defines tea ceremony aesthetics.
63 Tojiin-Kita-machi, Kita-ku
Opening hours: 9am-5pm
Non-smoking area: Yes
Nearest Transport: 10min walk from Tojiin Station, Keifuku Kitano line
See hotels near to Toji-in Temple on Agoda.com
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Near To Here:
Toji-in Temple is located in Northwest Kyoto. See our complete list of things to do in Northwest Kyoto, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world