If you think you know tofu, think again! The artisans at this branch of a famed Kyoto tofu restaurant chain do more with tofu than you’d have thought possible.
Hidden down a narrow allow off of Kiyamachi-dori, the lane that runs along the canal just west of the Kamo-gawa River, Tosuiro is a well-kept secret among Kyoto’s vegetarians and their bean-curd eating friends. The atmosphere is classically Kyoto and the food is divine. As far as we are concerned, it’s tofu kaiseki, because it consists of a flight of interesting dishes, each artfully presented. In summer, you might be lucky enough to grab a seat on the outside deck overlooking the Kamo-gawa River. Highly recommended!
If you need help with getting reservations, you can book many Michelin-starred Kyoto restaurants online with GoVoyagin. Be aware you pay a fee simply for the reservation – your meal is not included.
For more Kyoto tofu choices, see our Best Tofu Cuisine In Kyoto page.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
517-3 Kamiosaka-cho, Sanjo-agaru, Kiyamachi-dori, Nakagyo-ku
11:30am-2pm (last order), 5pm-9:30pm (last order) Mon-Sat
12am-8:30pm (last order) Sunday
No fixed holiday
Non-smoking area: Yes
3min walk from Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae Station Exit 1, Tozai subway line
Official site (English)
Read customer reviews of Tousuiro on TripAdvisor
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)