Kyoto’s best youth hostel is located way up in the northwest corner of the city – you’ll want a bicycle if you’re staying here.
Utano Youth Hostel does almost everything right: it’s got spotlessly clean rooms, free wifi, nice common areas, pleasant grounds and friendly staff. There are both private and shared rooms and the rates are very reasonable. The only problem is the location: it’s located way up in the northwest corner of the city, not too far from Kinkaku-ji and Ryoan-ji temples. The hostel rents bicycles and you’ll need one of these to do much sightseeing if you’re based here (and don’t want to spend all your time on buses). Still, despite the inconvenient location, we really like this well-run youth hostel.
29, Nakayama-cho, Uzumasa, Ukyo-ku
Internet: wifi and LAN cable access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
1 minute walk from Youth Hostel Mae (yuusu hosteru mae) bus stop. Kyoto city bus 26 from platform D3 in front of Kyoto Station.
Official Website (English)
You can book rooms at Utano Youth hostel online at Agoda.com
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Northwest Kyoto, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
More Kyoto Hotels info:
- Kyoto Hotels Overview
- Check availability and pricing for Kyoto hotels at Agoda.com
- The Best Places To Stay In Kyoto
- Where To Stay In Kyoto
- Best Value Hotels In Kyoto
- Kyoto Vacation Rentals
- Best Luxury Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Boutique Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Mid-Range Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Budget Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Kyoto Hostels and Guesthouses
- Best Kyoto Hotels For Families
- Best Ryokan In Kyoto
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)