Yaoichi is an elegant and slightly posh supermarket right in the heart of Kyoto’s downtown shopping district. It’s a fantastic place to buy fixings for a picnic lunch or a great dinner back at your hotel.
Yaoichi exterior – image © Chris Rowthorn
Yaoichi is a favorite food shop of Kyoto’s well-heeled professionals who live downtown. It’s also becoming popular among some of Kyoto’s expats and some well-informed travelers. Their prepared foods and sushi/sashimi sections are very strong, and they have an excellent bakery.
Yaoichi interior – image © Chris Rowthorn
On the ground floor, you’ll find sushi, sashimi, prepared meals, produce and the bakery. Upstairs, you’ll find such things as tea, coffee and spices. All in all, it’s a great spot if you don’t mind spending a bit more than at regular neighborhood supermarkets.
Yaoichi sushi and sashimi section – image © Chris Rowthorn
Name in English:
Kyoto Yaoichi Honkan
Name in Japanese:
220 Sanmonji-cho, Higashinotoin-dori-Sanjo-sagaru, Nakagyo-ku
Price: cheap to moderate
3min walk from Karasuma Oike Station Exit 5, Karasuma and Tozai subway lines
Official Website (Japanese)
Near To Here:
Yaoichi is located in Kyoto’s Downtown district. See our complete list of things to do in Downtown Kyoto, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world