Yodofu Sagano is a great place to try that great Arashiyama Buddhist specialty: yudo (chunks of tofu simmered in broth).
Arashiyama was originally a temple district, owing to the existence of Tenryu-ji, the area’s famous Zen temple. As with all large Zen temples, you’ll find it surrounded by places that serve some variation on the Buddhist vegetarian theme, in this case, yudo, or simmered chunks of hot tofu. It’s always served with a variety of side dishes.
For more meat-free eating suggestions, read our round-up of Kyoto’s Best Vegetarian Restaurants.
45 Susukinobana-cho, SagaTenryu-ji, Ukyo-ku
Non-smoking area:: Yes
10min walk from Arashiyama Station, Keifuku Arashiyama line
Official Website: None
Read customer reviews of Yudofu Sagano on TripAdvisor
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads