For some wonderful Japanese takes on Western pastries paired with excellent green tea, check out this gallery/café on Muramachi, a short walk northwest of downtown.
Zenkashoin exterior – image © Chris Rowthorn
If you’ve had your fill of chain coffee restaurants and you’re near the Oike-Karasuma intersection (near downtown), then walk a few blocks to the serene Zenkashoin. This stylish gallery/sweet shop has a lovely little café that overlooks a nice courtyard garden.
Zenkashoin interior – image © Chris Rowthorn
There’s an English menu and you can get a variety of sets that include a pastry or two and a nice cup of matcha. The sweets are Japanese versions of Western pastries and they’re delicious, as is the tea. Most sets allow you to choose one, two or three of the shop’s signature pastries and pair them with hot or cold matcha, but there are many other choices as well.
Zen to Zen sweet set – image © Chris Rowthorn
271-1 Takoyakushi-cho, Muromachi-dori Nijo-sagaru, Nakagyo-ku
Closed 2nd and 4th Monday
Non-smoking area: Yes
6-minute walk from Karasuma Oike Station Exit 2, Karasuma and Tozai subway lines
Official Website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Zenkashoin on TripAdvisor.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)