Garden at Shoren-in Temple – image © Damien Douxchamps
If you’re going to visit Southern Higashiyama, don’t miss Shoren-in Temple. It’s not nearly as crowded at other temples in the area and the garden is superb. I recommend paying extra for a cup of a tea and a sweet, which you can enjoy while gazing over this enclosed paradise.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)