An oasis of green amid the Southern Higashiyama Sightseeing District, Maruyama-koen Park is the perfect spot for a rest or picnic while exploring the area.
Cherry Tree, Maruyama-koen © fieldsofview
Complete with a duck pond, some gurgling streams and some of the finest cherry trees in all of Kyoto, Maruyama-koen Park is a brilliant little park tucked up against the base of the Higashiyama Mountain, sandwiched between Yasaka-jinja Shrine to the south and Chion-in Temple to the north. If you’re in Kyoto during cherry blossom season, this is the place to come to see some serious hanami (cherry blossom viewing) parties, but be prepared for crowds and plenty of public drunkenness (fortunately, this sort of thing rarely leads to fights like it does in other countries).
Walking Tour: Maruyama-koen Park features in our Private Walking Tour of Southern Higashiyama
Open 24 hours
Non-smoking area: Yes
1min walk from Gion Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 100 or 206 from Kyoto Station
15min walk from Gion Shijo Station, Keihan line
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads