Kyoto’s sakura (cherry blossoms) hit mankai (peak blossom) a few days ago. I was at Maruyama-koen Park in time to catch this afternoon hanami (cherry blossom viewing party). This picture pretty much sums up everything I love about Japan. Note the shoes.
Maruyama-Koen Hanami Party with Shoes © Chris Rowthorn
The torii (Shinto shrine gate) at Heian-jingu Shrine always looks good when framed by cherry blossoms.
Heian-Jingu Torri with Cherries and Canal © Chris Rowthorn
Kyoto Cherry Blossoms Guide:
- When Do Cherry Blossoms Bloom In Kyoto?
- Where Is The Best Place To See Cherry Blossoms In Kyoto?
- Where To Stay In Cherry Blossom Season In Kyoto
- Where To Stay If Kyoto Is Fully Booked
- Best Places To See Cherry Blossoms In Kyoto Away from The Crowds
- Best Places In Kyoto For a Blossoming Viewing Party (Hanami Party)
- Kyoto 2-Day Cherry Blossom Itinerary
- Kyoto One-Day Cherry Blossom Off-The-Beaten-Track Itinerary
- Kyoto Romantic Cherry Blossom Itinerary
- Kyoto Evening Cherry Blossom Itinerary
Visiting Tokyo or Osaka?
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)