If you plan to be in Kyoto for cherry blossom season, it’s important that you book your accommodation well in advance. Here are some suggestions of the best places to stay for the most convenient access to the cherry blossoms
image © Jeffrey Friedl
If you plan to be in Kyoto during cherry blossom season, book your accommodations WELL IN ADVANCE. Ideally, book several months in advance. If you wait until the last minute, you might find everyplace fully booked.
Check Current Kyoto Hotel Availability
You can check current Kyoto hotel availability for mid-March to mid-April, when the cherry blossoms bloom, on Booking.com and Agoda.com. Please have a read of When Do The Cherry Blossoms Bloom In Kyoto to help you decide on the exact time to go.
Recommended Places To Stay In Kyoto During Cherry Blossom Season
One thing to keep in mind is that all the main roads in the Southern Higashiyama and Northern Higashiyama districts becomes gridlocked during this season. (These are two of the most popular areas visited by tourists, both domestic and foreign). Thus, you might consider staying someplace near Kyoto Station or in Downtown Kyoto or Central Kyoto. Here are a few good options for cherry blossom season:
- Aoi Machiya Stay
Check availability and book on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Aoi Kyoto Stay is a collection of beautifully restored Kyoto machiya (traditional townhouses) that have been converted into accommodations.
- Granvia Hotel Kyoto
The Kyoto Hotel Granvia is not only the best hotel in the Kyoto Station area, it’s also the most convenient, since it located directly above the station itself.
- Kyoto Brighton Hotel
The Kyoto Brighton Hotel is a large five-star hotel located somewhat inconveniently a few blocks west of the Kyoto Imperial Palace Park
- Kyoto Hotel Okura
The Kyoto Hotel Okura has the most convenient location of any hotel in Kyoto (it’s right downtown and directly above a subway line). It’s a luxury hotel with reasonable prices.
- Hotel Kanra Kyoto
A modern boutique hotel with Japanese touches relatively close to Kyoto Station, the Hotel Kanra is a stylish and unique place to be based in Kyoto
- Citadines Karasuma-Gojo Kyoto
A reasonably priced serviced apartment/hotel a short walk from downtown, Citadines Kyoto Karasuma Gojo is a great choice for families, groups and couples
- Best Western Hotel Kyoto
The brand-new Best Western is an excellent mid-range hotel located in the heart of Kyoto’s downtown shopping district.
- Dormy Inn Premium Kyoto Ekimae
An excellent budget hotel near Kyoto Station, the Dormy Inn Premium Kyoto Ekimae is a great value right on the doorstep of the station
The Hiiragiya is one of the finest ryokan in Kyoto. The service, décor and common areas are impeccable
Tawaraya is the finest ryokan in Kyoto and, arguably, the finest in all Japan. Private gardens and incredible attention to detail make it a very special Kyoto experience.
image © Jeffrey Friedl
Alternatives To Staying In Kyoto
If all accommodation is sold out in Kyoto during cherry blossom season, don’t despair:
Osaka has a lot of hotels and it’s less than 15 minutes from Osaka to Kyoto by shinkansen (bullet train) and about 45 minutes by regular express train.
:: Check availability and pricing for hotels in Osaka on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Likewise, even Nagoya is within striking distance if you’re willing to take the shinkansen (no sweat if you’ve got a Japan Rail Pass).
:: Check availability and pricing for hotels in Nagoya on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
See my guide to Where To Stay If Kyoto Is Fully Booked for more suggestions and info.
Kyoto Cherry Blossoms Guide:
- When Do Cherry Blossoms Bloom In Kyoto?
- Where Is The Best Place To See Cherry Blossoms In Kyoto?
- Where To Stay In Cherry Blossom Season In Kyoto
- Where To Stay If Kyoto Is Fully Booked
- Best Places To See Cherry Blossoms In Kyoto Away from The Crowds
- Best Places In Kyoto For a Blossoming Viewing Party (Hanami Party)
- Kyoto 2-Day Cherry Blossom Itinerary
- Kyoto One-Day Cherry Blossom Off-The-Beaten-Track Itinerary
Visiting Tokyo or Osaka?
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)