Hiroshima and the nearby island of Miyajima are fantastic places to enjoy Japan’s famous cherry blossoms. Here is information on timing and a list of the best spots.
Hanami party near Hiroshima Peace Park © 16782093@N03
When Is Cherry Blossom Season In Hiroshima?
In Hiroshima and over on Miyajima, the cherry blossoms (sakura) usually bloom in the last week of March and the first two weeks of April (roughly between 20 March and 14 April). In an average year, the blooms peak on 1 April in Hiroshima and Miyajima. Once they bloom, they are notoriously fickle: sometimes almost all the trees will come into full bloom (mankai) at the same time and stay in full bloom for a week or even longer.
Hiroshima’s Best Cherry Blossom Spots
Here is our list of the best cherry blossom spots in Hiroshima. For more details on these places, visit our Things To Do in Hiroshima and Miyajima page.
- Peace Memorial Park: There are cherry trees all around the Peace Park and along the walkways that surround it. Local citizens crowd around them to hold festive hanami (cherry blossom viewing) parties during the season. If you’re lucky, you might be invited to join the fun.
- Hiroshima Castle: There are plenty of beautiful cherry trees on the grounds of this castle. It’s a nice counterpoint to the Peace Park.
- Shukkei-en Garden: This spacious garden contains several excellent cherry trees. It’s a very soothing place to reflect on the history of the city.
- Onomichi: Outside Hiroshima city, Onomichi, east side of Hiroshima prefecture, is a good place to enjoy beautiful cherry blossom.
Cherry blossoms on Miyajima Island © jeofficial
Miyajima’s Best Cherry Blossom Spots
Here is our list of the best cherry blossom spots on the island of Miyajima. For more details on these places, visit our Things To Do in Hiroshima amnd Miyajima page.
- Momiji-dani-koen Park: This park contains a good number of cherry trees and it’s a very nice place for a stroll during cherry blossom season.
- Five-storied pagoda: This pagoda, which overlooks Itsukushima-jinja Shrine, has several nice cherry trees nearby. The pagoda framed by a tree bursting with blossoms makes a superb photo.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on our Hiroshima Google map:
- Open the Hiroshima map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Hiroshima and Miyajima Travel Guide:
- Hiroshima and Miyajima Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Hiroshima and Miyajima
- Hiroshima and Miyajima Walking Tour
- Best Places To Eat In Hiroshima And Miyajima
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Itineraries
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Cherry Blossoms
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Fall Foliage
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Districts
- Best Ryokan In Hiroshima And Miyajima
- Best Hotels In Hiroshima And Miyajima
- How To Get To Hiroshima and Miyajima
- Getting Around Hiroshima and Miyajima
- When To Go To Hiroshima and Miyajima
Other Japan Travel Guides:
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)