Recently, I stayed at Kayotei, a ryokan at Yamanaka Onsen, in Ishikawa-ken, about two hours north of my home in Kyoto. My wife Hiroe, my son Kieran and I went up there with our friends Anthony and Nicole.
Kayotei was absolutely incredible. It is surrounded by greenery and overlooks a lovely river. There are only ten rooms and it is very peaceful and quiet. The staff is attentive, the food is superb and the rooms are beautiful. I highly recommend Kayotei for anyone who wants to try the high-end Japanese ryokan experience. Their website is here.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads