Moss garden at Myoshin-ji’s Kobai-in Subtemple – image © Damien Douxchamps
Myoshin-ji Temple, in the northwest of the city, is a world of small Zen subtemples. Some are only open a few weeks of the year. Here is a shot taken at the Kobai-in Subtemple.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads