Amber House in Gion is a magical traditional Japanese house on a quite street just steps away from the city’s most important sightseeing district.
Exterior of Amber House – image © Amber House
This two-storey machiya house is the perfect place to experience living the traditional Kyoto way. The house has been sumptuously restored so that it retains its “old Kyoto” charm but is completely comfortable for modern guests.
The house directly adjoins the complex of Kennin-ji Temple, one of Kyoto’s oldest Zen temples. While you’re right on the edge of Gion here, the house is very quiet because it’s on a tiny cul-de-sac. Downtown is only 10 minutes’ walk away and the main temples of Southern Higashiyama are also about 10 minutes’ walk away.
The house can sleep up to four people in two bedrooms. There’s an incredible inner garden, a fine Japanese bath and a complete kitchen.
Considering the fact that this place costs less than most proper hotels in town, it’s an incredible bargain for a once-in-a-lifetime experience of an elegant traditional house with all the modern comforts. It’s perfect for families or couples.
You can book online at Old Kyoto, the official website for Amber House and several other similar properties, such as Indigo House, The Gion House and The Gion Apartments.
563-15 Komatsu-cho, Higashiyama-ku
Nearest bus stop:
Five-minute walk from Higashiyama-Yasui bus stop
from ¥30,000 per night
Old Kyoto – book online at the official website for Amber House.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world