Indigo House Gion is a former geisha house that has been converted into two sublime vacation rental properties. They offer the unforgettable experience of staying in a traditional yet comfortable Kyoto house – just steps away from the city’s main sightseeing district.
Located on a quiet cul-de-sac on the edge of Gion, Indigo House is a newly restored traditional Kyoto machiya split into two bright and airy units: Indigo House Gion Upper and Indigo House Gion Lower. Each is a magical sanctuary that offers the best of “old Kyoto” style updated with all the modern comforts to make your stay truly relaxing.
Indigo House Gion Upper – Photo Gallery
The location is impossible to beat: It’s right on the edge of Gion, and only 10 minutes’ walk from downtown and the main Southern Higashiyama sightseeing district, but because it’s so quiet, you might feel worlds away.
Each unit accommodates up to four people in two comfortable bedrooms. Each unit also has a comfortable Japanese bath, full kitchen and living room. They’re ideal for families or couples.
When you consider that each unit costs less than a luxury hotel in this city, it’s really a great deal. I mean, a hotel is a hotel wherever you go. Since you’re coming all this way to Kyoto, doesn’t it make sense to stay in a truly Kyoto-style accommodation?
Indigo House Gion Lower – Photo Gallery
563-22 Komatsu-cho, Higashiyama-ku
Nearest bus stop:
five-minute walk from Higashiyama-Yasui bus stop
from ¥29,000 per night
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth itfor you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world