October 2022: Please note Bar Main Higashiyama has now permanently closed. Please see our Southern Higashiyama page for other places to eat and drink in the area.
A stylish bar in the popular garden Oriental Complex on the north edge of Gion, Bar Main Higashiyama is a great place for a civilized drink in Gion.
The Oriental Complex, which sits in the shadow of Yasaka-no-to Pagoda, just off of Ninen-zaka, is one of the more stylish nightspots in this part of town. While the main rooms serve as a restaurant and function halls (weddings are big here), the Bar Main Higashiyama is the main attraction here. Choose from counter or table seating and an excellent selection of wines and spirits.
366 Yasakakami-machi, Yasaka-dori, Shimokawara Higashi iru, Higashiyama-ku (The Garden Oriental Kyoto)
Drink from \700, food \500-1700
Non-smoking area: No
3min walk from Higashiyama-Yasui bus stop, Kyoto City Bus 206 from Kyoto Station
Official Website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world