Daimaru is one of Kyoto’s two largest and most opulent department stores, with everything from elite international brands to one of the best food floors in all of Japan.
Like Takashimaya, Daimaru has a huge selection of imported brands, impeccable service and a food floor that will make you give up any thoughts of dieting while on vacation. Daimaru prides itself on good service and they have the goods to go with it. Whether you’re after a tailor-made suit or some casual sportswear, Daimaru is a great place to look (but keep in mind that tall Westerners may be out of luck when shopping for shoes, pants or shirts).
79 Tachiuri Nishi-machi, Shijo-dori, Takakura nishi iru, Shimogyo-ku
1min walk from Shijo Station, Karasuma subway line or Karasuma Station, Hankyu line
Official Website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Daimaru on TripAdvisor
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world