Perhaps the most elegant department store in Kyoto, Takashimaya is the place to go to see just how opulent a Japanese department store can be.
Kyotoites and foreign residents love to debate which is better: Takashimaya Department Store or Daimaru Department Store. Luckily, you don’t have to pick sides: they’re located less than 10 minutes apart on Shijo, in downtown Kyoto. For our money, Takashimaya is a slightly more elegant place, with a better selection of souvenirs, and the restaurant floor (not to be confused with the basement food floor), is better here than at Daimaru.
52 Shincho, Shijo-dori, Kawaramachi Nishi iru, Shimogyo-ku
1min walk from Kawaramachi Station, Hankyu line
:: Check availability and pricing for hotels near to Takashimaya Department Store on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Official Website (English)
Read customer reviews of Takashimaya on TripAdvisor
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world