The Daimaru Department Store Resutoran-gai (restaurant floor) is a good collection of Japanese and international restaurants in the heart of downtown Kyoto.
If you find yourself in need of a meal while in downtown Kyoto and want a lot of choices, take the elevator to the 8th floor of Daimaru Department Store. Here, you’ll find a variety of Japanese speciality restaurants, along with the inevitable French, Italian and Chinese places so beloved by Japanese shoppers. Most places are very casual and at home with foreign diners.
See also more info on the Daimaru Department Store and the spectacular Daimaru Basement Food Floor.
79 Shijo-dori Takakura Nishiiri Tachiurinishimachi, Shimogyo-ku
11:00am-8:00pm (last order 7:30pm), Closed January 1st
Non-smoking area: Yes
1min walk from Karasuma Station, Hankyu railway, Kyoto line (directly accessible underground)
2min walk from Shijo Station, Subway Karasuma line (directly accessible underground)
:: Check availability and pricing for hotels near to Daimaru on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Website: Official Website
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world