Yet another overlooked gem in Southern Higashiyama, Entoku-in Temple is a delightful collection of priceless art treasures and a stunning karesansui (dry stone) garden.
Zuiganzan Enkouji Temple at Sakyo-Ku: beeboys / Shutterstock.com
A subtemple of Kodai-ji Temple, which sits just up the hill across Nene-no-Michi, Entoku-in Temple rewards the adventurous visitor with a tight warren of narrow corridors and exquisitely decorated reception and meditation halls, some of which look out on one of Kyoto’s finest gardens. For us, the cherry on the cake here are the fusuma-e (screen paintings) by artist Hasegawa Tohaku, which call to mind the colorful exuberance of any of Monet’s work.
530 Shimokawara-cho, Kodai-ji, Higashiyama-ku
9am-5:30pm, last entry 5:00pm
High and junior high school students: \200
Discount ticket for 3 places (Kodai-ji, Sho Museum, and Entoku-in Temple): \900
Non-smoking area: Yes
5min walk from Higashiyama Yasui Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 206 from Kyoto Station
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Near To Here:
Entoku-in Temple is located in Kyoto’s Southern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Southern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world