This simple new business hotel a short walk from the main (north) exit of Kyoto Station offers great convenience at super-cheap rates.
There’s nothing fancy about this place, but it’s clean and well run. If you want the convenience of being very close to Kyoto Station, with all the transport, dining and shopping that it offers, then this is a great choice, especially if you’re on a tight budget. The free breakfast is a nice touch.
If this one is full, try the Hotel Excellence Kyoto Hachijo, on the south side of the station.
519-1 Kitafudondo-cho, Simogyo-ku
Check availability and pricing for Hotel Excellence Kyoto Ekimae on Booking.com or Agoda.com
Internet: Free wifi access, LAN cable access and communal PC
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
Nearest Transport: 5min walk from JR Kyoto Station Karasuma central gate
Website: Official website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Station Area Recommendations
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for the Kyoto Station Area, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world