Kanazawa is a fantastic place to see Japan’s famous autumn colors. The city is filled with parks and green spaces where you can enjoy the colors. Here is a list of the best spots and information on timing.
Maple tree in Kenroku-en Garden © bryansjs
In a hurry? Scroll down for our list of the best foliage spots in Kanazawa. Otherwise, read the following section on the best time to see the autumn colors in Kanazawa.
When is fall foliage season in Kanazawa?
In Kanazawa, the leaves start changing color sometime in October. The peak of autumn color usually comes in mid-November, and you can usually see colors on the trees until mid-December. Thus, in an average year, the foliage season in Kanazawa lasts from 15 October to 15 December, with a peak around 15 November.
Kanazawa Castle with autumn colors © rmonty119
Kanazawa’s best fall foliage spots
Here is our list of the best fall foliage spots in Kanazawa. For more details on these places, visit our Things To Do in Kanazawa page.
- Oyashirazu path, Kenroku-en Garden: This pathway in Kenroku-en offers a superb view of the maples reflecting off of the water.
- Yamazaki-yama Hill, Kenroku-en Garden: Sometimes referred to as “Maple Hill,” this hillock in Kenroku-en has some of the most beautiful maples in the city.
- Suzuki Daisetsu Museum: The Roji-en Garden behind the museum has some lovely foliage in the autumn.
- Terashima Kurando’s House: The garden at this quiet samurai house of Terashima Kurando is a great place to enjoy the fall foliage without the crowds.
- If you have more time: Hakusan White Road: This toll road, which leads over the mountains on the border of Ishikawa Prefecture and Gifu Prefecture, is a great way to enjoy the fall foliage in September and early October (the leaves turn earlier in the mountains). This is also a good way to get to/from Shirakawa-go, which is home to the famous thatch-roof houses. It’s recommended if you have a rental car.
Kanazawa Travel Guide:
- Kanazawa Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Kanazawa
- Kanazawa Walking Tour
- Places To Eat In Kanazawa
- Kanazawa Itineraries
- Kanazawa Cherry Blossoms
- Kanazawa Fall Foliage
- Kanazawa Districts
- Kanazawa Ryokan
- Kanazawa Hotels
- – Best Luxury Hotels in Kanazawa
- – Best Mid Range Hotels in Kanazawa
- – Best Budget Hotels in Kanazawa
- How To Get To Kanazawa
- Getting Around Kanazawa
- Best Time To Go To Kanazawa
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)