October 2022: Please note Kick Up has now permanently closed. Please see our Northern Higashiyama page for other places to drink and eat in the area.
A cozy bar in Keage, just across the street from the Westin Miyako Hotel, Kick Up is an excellent place for a sociable drink in eastern Kyoto.
Taking its name from Keage, the bar’s location, which means “kick up” in Japanese, this bar is a stylish and welcoming place for a tipple after a day of sightseeing in the old capital. Attracting a crowd composed of equal numbers of local Japanese, long-term expats and guests from the nearby Westin Miyako Hotel, it’s a very easy place to strike up a conversation and the subdued design of the place automatically puts you in a chilled out mood. And, if you haven’t managed to eat before coming, the kitchen turns out some surprisingly tasty bar food.
331 Higashikomonoza-cho, Higashiyama-ku
Drink from \600, food from \500
Non-smoking area: Yes
1min walk from Keage Station Exit 1, Tozai subway line
Official Website (Japanese)
Near To Here:
Kick Up is located in Kyoto’s Northern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Northern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world