May 2023: Please note Ryokan Sakura Hongan-G is temporarily closed. Please see Kyoto Ryokan for other hand-picked ryokan recommendations in Kyoto.
An inexpensive ryokan-style guesthouse on the west side of town, the Ryokan Sakura Hongan-G is a good choice if you don’t mind traveling a bit to see the sights.
Located in a newly refurbished traditional building not far from Nishi-Hongan-ji Temple, the Ryokan Sakura Hongan-G is a foreigner-friendly ryokan with simple but adequate rooms. If you’re looking for the grand ryokan experience, look elsewhere (and be prepared to pay a lot more), but if you simply crave some traditional Japanese surroundings and the company of like-minded travellers, then this place might suit.
Part of the appeal of the place is the surrounding neighborhood: it’s one of the more traditional areas of Kyoto and lovely old machiya and shop houses about. The only real downside here are the thin walls (typical of Kyoto – especially cheap ones), so you can easily hear your neighbors talking and any noises from the hallway.
228-2 Butsuguya-cho, Aburanokoji-dori, Hanaya-cho sagaru, Shimogyo-ku
Internet: wifi and LAN cable access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
10min walk from JR Kyoto Station Karasuma central gate
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world