Kyoto’s National Museum of Modern Art is a reasonably interesting museum that occasionally holds worthwhile special exhibits.
National Museum Of Modern Art, Kyoto
Located in Okazaki-koen Park, on the west side of the vast torii (shrine gate) of Hiean-jingu Shrine, the Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art can’t compete with the nearby Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, but it’s always worth a look to see if the current special exhibit strikes your fancy. The permanent collection is small but interesting – we only wish it was larger. Take note of the coffee shop located on the south side of the lobby (you can enter this part of the museum for free). Overlooking a lovely canal, this is one of the nicer spots in the area for a cuppa.
Enshoji-cho, Okazaki, Sakyo-ku
9.30am-5pm, last entry 4.30pm
Closed Monday & the following Tuesday when Monday is a national holiday, new-Year holiday
Closed until March 15, 2013 for renovation
College students: \130
Extra for special exhibition
Non-smoking area: Yes
In front of Kyoto Kaikan Bijutsukan-mae Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 5 from Kyoto Station
10min walk from Higashiyama Station, Tozai subway line
Official Website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Near To Here:
National Museum of Modern Art is located in Kyoto’s Northern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Northern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)