October 2022: Please note Omen Kodaiji has now permanently closed. Please see our Southern Higashiyama page for other places to eat in the area.
For a healthy and filling lunch in the heart of the Southern Higashiyama sightseeing district, drop into this wonderful noodle specialist.
Omen Exterior – image © Jun Kitayama
The main location of Omen, near Ginkaku-ji Temple, is one of Kyoto’s most beloved restaurants, serving great udon noodles and much more. This branch shop is a great way to experience their excellent food while in Southern Higashiyama. It’s a short walk from such places as Kiyomizu-dera, Ninen and Sanen Zaka, and Kodai-ji.
Omen set – image © Jun Kitayama
The fare is similar to that of the main shop: the specialty is thick and filling omen noodles, served with hot or cold soup. But, be sure to check out the rest of the menu. As with the main shop, some of the best dishes are on the a la carte menu.
For more Kyoto soba and udon choices, see our Best Soba and Udon in Kyoto page.
362 Masuya-cho, Kodaijiminamimon-dori Shimogawara-higashiiru, Higashiyama-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
5-minute walk from Higashiyama Yasui Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 206 from Kyoto Station
Official Website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Omen Kodaiji on TripAdvisor.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world