If you’re looking for a tasty bowl of soba in peaceful surroundings, just steps from Ginkaku-ji Temple, you’ll definitely like Sanmikouan – it’s head and shoulders above the usual fare in this neighborhood.
Sanmikouan lunch set – image © Chris Rowthorn
Sanmikouan is a soba specialist, but they also serve udon and rice dishes, as well as a variety of a la carte dishes like tempura and smoked fish. There’s an English menu and it’s all quite tasty.
Sanmikouan interior – image © Chris Rowthorn
The restaurant is simple, elegant and vaguely rustic inside. Some of the tables have views down to the Path of Philosophy. And, despite being so close to major Kyoto sights, Sanmikouan feels like an island of tranquility.
Sanmikouan exterior – image © Chris Rowthorn
Look for the red brick wall and the menu stand outside.
Note that there is another branch of Sanmikouan on Sanjo-dori, near Okazaki.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
14-12 Ginkakujimae-cho, Sakyo-ku
Closed Tuesday or the following Wednesday when Tuesday is a national holiday
Price: cheap to moderate
Non-smoking area: Completely Non-Smoking
3min walk from Ginkakuji-mae Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 100 from Kyoto Station
Official site (Japanese)
Near To Here:
Sanmikouan Ginkakuji is located in Kyoto’s Northern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Northern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)