The Sento Gosho is a sprawling walled garden with gorgeous ponds and meandering walkways through towering trees and blooming plants of every sort.
Sento Imperial Palace
Located in the lovely Kyoto Imperial Palace Park, the Sento Gosho, which served as the residence of retired emperors during the Edo period, is actually a more appealing destination than the main Kyoto Imperial Palace, especially if you prefer gardens to buildings (only two buildings remain standing in the Sento Gosho. The Sento Gosho is best thought of as a private park within the larger Kyoto Imperial Palace Park. It must be toured as part of a guided tour, for which you must apply, but you can hang back a bit behind the main group and just soak in the green splendor of the place.
Kyoto Gyoen 3, Kamigyo-ku
Guided Tour Hours::
11:00am or 1:30pm
Free, but an application procedure is necessary. For details, see the Admissions section of the Kyoto Imperial Palace page.
Non-smoking area:: Yes
10min walk from Imadegawa Station, Karasuma subway line.
211-1215 (8.45am-noon, 1pm-5pm, Mon-Fri)
Official website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Near To Here:
Sento Gosho is located in Central Kyoto. See our complete list of things to do in Central Kyoto, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world